Wednesday 2 May 2018

April– July 2018 Wk1&2: Figure Drawing



Here is a brief recap of some of the discussion pieces regarding figure drawing from week 1 and 2.

There are many ways of approaching drawing the human form.
When I first began teaching, I figured it would be easy to get people to learn how to draw the human figure.  Because I draw the human form pretty much every day, whether that be in  storyboards, concept art or some form of publishable work, I take for granted my ability to draw the human form.I began to realise that because I draw as a career choice, I naturally make it my business to understand what it is I am drawing , so I can draw it to the best of my ability and understanding.
I  cannot draw something if I  do not know what it is I am supposed to be drawing. I f I was asked to draw a door but had never actually seen a door, how could I draw one?
I couldn't.
The thing about the human form, is that we see it every day. We take it for granted. We all know that we share the planet with millions of other humans. Some of whome we may want to avoid . 
So , because we simply accept that other humans are around, we probably pay little attention to them.
Some people do not even like looking at themselves in the mirror or find shopping for clothes stressful , because it means studying one's self in a mirror.
And there lies the problem. 
We look but we don't see. We don't see the human form. We think we do but we don't. 
To be able to draw the human form, it has to be studied and understood. An understanding of how the body works, even on a superficial level, is paramount.
A  book on anatomy is always a good start. Figure drawing classes are also helpful.
But nothing will actually improve your ability to draw the human form better than practic,e and putting in lots of hours of practice. Because this will not happen over night or in a a few hours or crash course sessions. It is an ongoing process. Even for professionals.

Grasping the basics of the human  skeleton is a good start.
Stripping things down to the basics, to raw content, is a good way of learning to draw anything.
There are a few ways you can approach figure drawing. I cannot advise which is the best. I know which was the best for me but what worked for me  may not work foro you. You have to try as many approaches as possible , so you can find the right way for you.
When producing a sketch of anything, I tend to keep my initial outling of the shape, loose and light.It helps me find the form easily. And also the action, or flow of movement.
This is pretty much how I go about it.
Maybe not the second form the left (that is just to add some clarity) but essentially, I try to capture the form and shape with  a loose sketch


Below are a couple of loose breakdowns for storyboards.
These are drawn really quickly. Just seconds really.





More figure drawing stuff coming soon.

Until then, just keep practising

No comments:

Post a Comment